Saturday, March 23, 2013

Olympic Park Earth Hour

I made it to Olympic Park for the first time... finally. My father was lucky enough to attend the Olympics in 2008 in Beijing, but I had not been back since 2007, so had yet to make it there. I have been here 6 months already but it is quite far from where I live, and it's been cold almost since I got here.

Tonight we had an event for our students called Earth Hour. It is celebrated around the world (but never heard of it while in the states). It's a moment when all lights and electricity is to be turned off for one hour. Now we weren't able to turn the Birds Nest off, but we had activities and games for the kids. I was in charge of painting the t-shirts... which was a giant cluster of people... and hello... paint doesn't dry that fast. It ended up being extremely cold and windy. Was only supposed to last 2 hours, but after an hour and a half we had maybe 20 students. Most of the people had already left it was so cold. My fingers and toes are still numb.

It was definitely a pleasurable experience and nice to see the kids all having fun together. Also, getting to meet and hang out with many of my colleagues I have never seen before. Not sure why I got myself into working until 830 at night when I have a class at 845 tomorrow morning... but oh well. I can now say that I have been to the Olympic Park and that I celebrate earth hour--- in a non-envrionmentally friendly way, unfortunately... toxic paint, lots of paper, lighting, etc doesn't make for a ecofriendly world... it was still an experience.

                                    


This was the 3rd shot of this picture... but it was so windy the shirt wouldn't hold still and neither would my freezing hand.



1 comment: