Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas in Beijing

I think I may have had one of the best Christmas' yet, but it was bitter sweet. I'll tell you how it went....

I woke up early on Christmas Eve to get a few things done. Got the key to my mothers friends house, did some grocery shopping, and got my nails done. I splurged and spent the $20 it costs to do my nails different with little snowmen and snowflakes hand drawn on. I love them. I also picked up Home Alone 1 and 2, New Years Eve, and a gift for Anna Vance--my best friends daughter. There was a specific CD to find and I originally bought the wrong one, but found the correct one which included a DVD. Bonus

Christmas Eve we all had to work until about 8pm, but everyone was in a very festive mood. One of my classes was canceled so I only had to teach the young boy, who again told me about his drinking. He said he got many presents for Christmas, and wants to go out and party on Christmas Eve. I think many Chinese use our holiday as an excuse to drink more as they do not actually celebrate the holiday. I taught him all about Christmas as he had no idea why it was celebrated. He got bored after the first 30 seconds. But he did compare our holiday to Chinese Spring Festival-- but they receive money in envelopes, I may convert to being Chinese.

After work we all (many of us. Charles, Khadijah, Allison and a few others did not come) to a bar in Sanlitun. Our Chinese co-workers convinced us to go for Christmas Eve drinks (an excuse for them to drink and celebrate our holiday), they were slightly confused when we told them that most people don't celebrate Christmas Eve by going to bars, they still don't understand what we actually do. In my household for instance, there is never any alcohol involved. Only forced into playing games by my wonderful mother, and told we will have fun whether we like it or not. (Some of these moments would be better tolerated with a nice glass of wine on hand... but then that would take the fun out of our all-so-serious, but necessary Christmas traditions.) After the bars, Sarah Michael and I went dancing for a bit and then to a Chuanr restaurant (I apologize I don't know how to spell Chuanr..) But basically it was a restaurant (or a room the size of a very small bathroom) where they cook meat and vegetables on a stick over a family. It's basically BBQ. It was absolutely amazing... I have always said that Xin Jiang Ren can make the best food. I made some friends who didn't speak a lick of English, and have proceeded to receive messages in Chinese as I gave out my number, that take my wonderful co-worker Lucy to translate for me. Google Translate is my best friend here-- and of course Lucy and Nina.

Michael, Sarah and I stayed the night at my mothers friends house as I wanted the use of an oven for breakfast. It is always a tradition in my household to make something called Skiiers French Toast. It's absolutely amazing. But, I couldn't find corn syrup. Later I found out that I could have used substitutes, but it was already too late. So I went with bacon, eggs, and blueberry muffins (that I burnt of course). I don't eat bacon or eggs here, so it was a treat, but not the same as in the States. I got a hat from Michael... which was ironic and wonderful because I realized I misplaced mine the night before, and now had a new one. Came home and Skyped with the family. That's a whole other story but it was very eventful and family-like. I got a tour of the house and my parents modeled for me. My dog was quite scared when she was forced to the computer screen by my sweet mother. She wasn't sure what was happening just looked terrified and wanted to go back to sleep.

Christmas night went to Khadijah's for dinner. I was supposed to be cooking, but ended up not cooking at all. I received kitchen clean-up duty. We had chicken, broccoli with cheese sauce, brussel sprouts with bacon and onion, mashed potatoes and gravy, lingon berry sauce from IKEA, and baked beans. It smelt amazing and tasted sooooo good. I want more already. After dinner we played the longest, but most fun game of charades ever. We laughed a lot and had a good time.

Overall, Christmas was very bitter-sweet. I missed my family very much and wished I was with them, especially to see it snowing on Christmas. But, we had a good time. I think this Christmas for me was more about appreciating my family and friends. Santa didn't come and I only got tea and a hat, but it was perfect because those were two things I wanted the most. I got what was essential, what I needed. This was my first Christmas without family, but they were with my in heart. And I know that my biological father and aunt were watching over me. I don't think I have been this happy in a long time. It's nice to have that feeling about Christmas. I like giving presents and that was my goal this year. To give everything I could, whether a hug or smile, 5 jiao to a beggar, candy, a candle, or a home made breakfast and a warm bed to sleep in (Sarah), Christmas is about being with people you love, and that was what I did.

I also have my family Christmas to look forward to. Five days till I go home and have Christmas on the first with my parents and brother. Can't wait to be home. Merry Christmas everyone.

Michael, Allison, myself and Charles Christmas night. 

Smugglers for Christmas Eve-- my coworkers

Sarah, and Michael Christmas morning

The Christmas dinner spread

Allison, Charles and Khadijah-- good food and good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment