Monday, December 3, 2012

Life in Beijing

I am always having trouble figuring out what to write on my blog. I want to find something interesting and fascinating to write about. But, so many different things happen in just one day that I get lost in lots of little things trying to find the big things. hmmm. So, thank you to my co-worker Khadijah, who has just inspired me. We just became fb friends because I found out she had a blog and was interested. Thought I'd take a look at it and see what she wrote about. Another friend of mine, Sarah has a blog too. She captured perfectly what I was looking for her in recent blog-- check it out-- it's HILARIOUS (http://onlyanoceanghost.wordpress.com/2012/11/29/how-to-lose-friends-in-china/)....

But anyway, I've recently and in the past few years have always thrown around the idea of writing a book. But I can't grasp a big enough idea to write as much as I would need. I think I have so many thoughts and ideas that I need to start much smaller. Work with the little ideas and grow from there... so back to my inspirational coworker Khadijah... she writes her blog every few days or so. She writes very little, sometimes only includes a photo. She talks about what she did that day, how work was, how her students are, any tid-bit of information she wants. So here's to the start of something new, that hopefully I can be consistent with. It will take a while at first because I always feel as though I need to explain myself, but if you keep up with what I write, I won't repeat myself, hopefully. Just bare in mind that I can be sarcastic, try to be funny, and often exaggerate. I try not to when I explain my experiences here in China as some things are really just that crazy, but I think a little exaggeration always adds to a story, it makes it fun and interesting... so here I go. 

A lot has happened since I last wrote, but I am going to start small and keep adding from there. and it should all make sense in the end.... or make no sense at all... but life isnt always about making sense of everything-- you have to enjoy the little things.

I'll start with last night because it was fun. A few of us coworkers went to a place called Helen's after work. Ill have to take photos and post sometime. Words don't always do justice. Happy hour was until 9 so we enjoyed rum and cokes for about 10 kuai ($1.50) and beer (pi jiu) for 5 kuai (less than a dollar). They have amazing burgers too, which is rare to find here, and are decently priced at 22 kuai (about $4.00). I left around 10:30 knowing I needed to get in bed before things got carried away, after all I do work at 2 in the afternoon on Monday. Yesterday just happened to be a very stressful day, so I needed to give myself a break.

Today, was slightly eventful. I was woken by my agent (the friendly Chinese man who speaks English and helped me find my apartment--he will be strapped to me until I leave as he does all the communicating with the owner of my apartment and the property management company) who texted me about my elevator card. You can no longer take the elevator upstairs, you now have to have an electronic card. He brought me the card, which he went out of his way to do, I thank him again from the virtual world. I happened to ride the elevator down with him because I needed to go to the atm and in the lobby of my building there was a flock of women yelling and screaming at the security guards. Weber (my agent) told me they were posting signs and yelling at the guards because they think the elevator cards are illegal and that the elevators are public property. I made it to the atm and back in five minutes to see more guards and very official people standing in the lobby. One lady was standing in the way of the elevator. I just gave her the "I'm innocent and naive" look because I'm a wai guo ren (foreigner) who has no idea what you are saying and is trying to get home. she politely stepped out of my way.

In the meantime, my agent had checked my floor in the kitchen (whole other story involving water under floor boards where it shouldnt be...) They will be working on it Wednesday at which point I will be stuck at home and will explain.

Oh, and a short side not-- I had to go to the atm to get money out because I ordered a rice cooker online (it was cheaper than buying it in the store) and you pay for the items when they are delivered not when you buy it online... very strange. It never made it to my house today because I had to leave for work. But my friendly Chinese coworker talked to the delivery man and told him i'd be home tomorrow morning. We will see what happens.

Made it to work early to get some stuff done. I have all my lessons planned out for the week so it didnt consist of much. But our office is being audited in the morning so we have to make sure we dot all of our i's and cross all of our t's.

I taught to VIP classes today (VIP's are one-on-one teaching). The first is a 14 year old boy who wants to go to High School in San Francisco but needs to pass the TOEFL exam to get in. He was falling asleep in my class as he was talking to me. I had to stop him and ask him if he needed to take a walk because there is no sleeping in my class. (He has done it before... i wasnt that mean about it). He said he did, so we took a ten minute break and finished up. I still don't feel he will pass the TOEFL but I am doing my best. I try to let them know that he needs more work, but oh well. I'm trying and doing the best I can.

The second VIP is the child from hell. I apologize for that comment as i do not literally mean that, nor do i hate the child in any way shape or form. she is a cute little girl. But as spoiled as spoiled can be. She busts out laughing in the middle of class for no reason. She has been working on the same book for over a year because she is so hard to control. She got on the floor today and started rolling around under desks. I finally found her weakness "Do you want me to go get your mother Pearl?" NOOOOOOOO. It worked every time (I did have to use it every 5 minutes) but it got us through the hour and the 3 pages we did. (we should have done 5 pages that we were trying to make up from last weeks histerics. But, oh well. That hour is over and is only once a week.

Came home after work and turned on my Christmas lights-- i love them. Watched Greys Anatomy and ate a piece of my American candy (supposed to be saving it all for Christmas but theres so much and I can't resist).

Tomorrow will be a new day. I have the same boy VIP from today and then a Small Star Green class, four of my favorite 3 year olds. I'll try to get a picture to post tomorrow night. Tomorrow is my Friday-- YAY. Hopefully the rice cooker will show too... hmmm. oh and my other goal is to take the bus to work. I have been taking taxis which only cost about 10 kuai ($1.50) but since I am trying to save money for home I'd rather only spend 2 kuai (less than a dollar).

Wrote more than I wanted to, but I promise I will write less and less but more often... maybe. :) Enjoy your day, or night.

No comments:

Post a Comment