Friday, December 14, 2012

winter wonderland

Today was nice and cold... not really nice. But cold. The snow was very pretty though despite the pollution and dirt in Beijing. I still enjoyed the snow. I didn't have any classes today, but got all my planning done for the weekend. Also, finished my essay for school. I'm hoping they will like it, I am scared to send it off. Bought a few groceries, basically just snacks and toilet paper.

I also tried to come up with more ideas for my Chinese New Year holiday. We have the 9th to the 16th off so i'd like to plan a trip somewhere. Money will be tight, but I could buy a last minute ticket. I was originally considering Shanghai because it's close, but I think I might save that for a three day weekend. Maybe sometime in the spring when it's warmer out. My Grandparents met there, so I want to try and go back to where they met. My mother has been and told me to go as well. So, I do plan to get there this year. But my next idea, which I am seriously considering, is Harbin. A co-worker, Allison is going, but staying with a friend of hers. But even if I went alone, I know it would be super cold, but I think it would be awesome.

Harbin is a place in the north of China that has a strong Russian influence. It is the main Russian exporter route to Dalian, so much of the architecture and scenery is like that of Russia. The buildings look very European. But, also the city is know for its ice sculptures and festival. I think to get a true one-time in my twenty's experience, I could take the over night train for about $30 to get there, stay in a youth hostel for $15 a night (for a nicer room of my own), and then $30 to get back over night. I think it would definitely be an eye-opening experience, and this may be the only time in my life I can go. I feel like Shanghai might be too much like Beijing, but I know there is a lot more culture in Harbin, and many things to see. It's also over my birthday so might be a nice gift to myself. Don't know if I can get anyone to go with me, but even if I went alone, I don't think I would mind. I just want a chance to see it before I leave here.



Gonna get to watching a movie before bed... only 17 more days before I leave for home. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment